Monday, January 23, 2017

Owned My Map! - GIS Lab 2

Own Your Map - GIS Lab 2

This week we made a map of the location of the UWF main campus and its location in Escambia County Florida. The map layout also had a smaller map displaying the location of Escambia County, at the very northwestern part of the state. I used a template for my map since that was one of the options offered in the lab and I am not entirely comfortable navigating the software yet. This allowed me to remember all the Essential Elements that my map required, such as the Title, Legend, Source, etc. I chose the color green for Escambia County because I consider this to be a fairly wooded state. The purple star representing UWF blends well with the green color, is eye catching, but not overwhelmingly bright or blinding. I’ve established a favorite North arrow choice which reminds me of classic nautical maps.

The map turned out okay and I was able to follow most of the instructions. I feel I am somewhat of a slow learner, as I far exceeded this week's timetable for completing the lab. However, I am learning how to navigate the program and particularly, choose symbols and colors that are in my style as well as manipulating the map layers to display what I choose. That said, despite using a template, I still feel like I owned my map!

No comments:

Post a Comment