Thursday, March 30, 2017

Week 12 - Geocoding, Network Analysis, and Model Builder

Week 12 - Geocoding, Network Analysis, and Model Builder

 This weeks lab was a bit treacherous and time consuming, though very informative. Gecoding is a pretty cool feature of ArcGIS and it was fun to navigate around the map and snap addresses that the address locator couldn't place. I'm still not completely comfortable with the concepts of the Model Builder, but hopefully a bit more practice and I'll understand it better. This lab took me well over 8 hours, possibly as much as 16. The geocoding and network analysis took some time, but creating the map on top of learning how the tools worked almost doubled my time investment. Then adding the Model Builder on top of it just made it a very rough week.

Regardless, it is now complete, and I think my map looks decent. In hindsight, I should have picked stations closer together before establishing my route, though I suppose the purpose was more about how to establish the optimal route. My large make of all of Lake County shows all the EMS stations and their addresses, as well as the optimal route from stations 141 to 171 to 311. I made sure to put a scale in for each map since the scale is different for each. I used red crosses to symbolize the stations because they are health related. Lastly, I used my customary north arrow and my staple font of Baskerville Old Face. I would do some things differently if I was to do this lab again, but all in all, I think my map displays the information well and has character.

No comments:

Post a Comment