Monday, February 20, 2017

Projections Part II - Like a Champ!

Projections Part II - Like a Champ!

Projections Part II - GIS5050/L


This week's lab was extremely long and tedious. However, I learned a lot. So much, in fact, that I was able to assist other students in class who were working on the assignment. Some of the difficulties I ran into were minor, but required repetition of reprojecting and defining that has permanently embedded the process into my brain. Another skill was having to pay attention to the projections of multiple layers, and how they were layered, in order to produce the finished product you see above.

The above map depicts the potential petroleum spill locations in Escambia County, Florida, based on tank coordinate data. I chose to make the quad index transparent, and I laid it over my Florida counties layer so I could see how well the quad aerial images lined up.

Reprojecting and defining coordinate systems are important skills that I am sure I will use extensively in the future. There is clearly a wealth of information accessible online to GIS practitioners, so knowing how to convert the data for optimal accuracy and use is a key component of using the full benefits of GIS.

All in all, despite my struggles, and some hair pulling, I feel comfortable and confident with the skills we learned this week. I look forward to putting them into practice regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment